Friday, December 14, 2012

Gratitude

It's a beautiful day in East Vancouver. The rain has stopped this morning, but there is still enough cloud cover to keep the city from being too cold. A perfect winter day in Vancouver.

In complete contrast to the day, on the other side of the continent, some disturbed young individual has taken his own life along with the lives of 20-some others, mostly children. I feel the sorrow of this tragedy in my heart for these people, parents losing children, children losing siblings and friends.

The emotion I feel most powerfully, though, is the same one I feel every day: Gratitude.

Gratitude for life.  For the lives of my three grown children, who I got to hug just last weekend. For my own life, filled with love and friendship and peace and joy. Seeing my parents and grandparents content and happy and healthy.

Much of my life has been spent yearning. I am learning to stop yearning and just be. This doesn't mean I don't have goals or things I look forward to. I am looking forward to my daughter's visit in about 9 days. I am looking forward to finding some work and making some money. I am looking forward to starting the next semester of school and eventually to getting my Bachelor Degree.

But the best part is now. Here. Alone. In this warm living room with the soft light. Coffee in my cup. Piano waiting for my touch.

I know that at the end of the day, the man I love will be here and we will laugh and care for one another and encourage each other's dreams and strengths.

Another day, I will tell some stories. But today, all I can express is Gratitude.

No comments: